Thursday, January 15, 2015

Week 1 Storytelling: Sleepy John



"DEEDLE, deedle, dumpling, my son John
Went to bed with his trousers on;
One shoe off, the other shoe on,
Deedle, deedle, dumpling, my son John."



There was once a boy named John. John is tall and handsome, seventeen-year-old senior in college with strong hopes of becoming a doctor. John knows that he must keep his grade point average high and do well on his MCAT, so he spends his days and nights working so hard to prepare for medical school that he rarely makes it to his bed without his trousers on. Although John's mother tells John time and time again that he needs more sleep, he still stays up to stress about all the assignments he must complete. John's friends often complain that he is an overachiever, and that he is missing out on some of the most important moments of senior year like football games, special campus events, and having fun on the weekends. Although, John doesn't listen and does not believe them.  When John returns home from a busy day, he never has a little fun or takes breaks for just a short time while studying. When he does rest, he cannot seem to sleep without at least one shoe on.  His mother often finds poor John sleeping with his day clothes on with at least one shoe off and thinks to herself "My dear son John has worked himself into overly dressed slumber." John wakes up again, seeing that his mother has tucked him in even though he never undressed from yesterday's clothes. John feels bad, because he is all his mother has and she constantly worries about him and his study habits. John then decides to make a change.


That very day, John decides to listen to his friends and rest and have fun for just a day. John asks his mother if he can have a couple of friends over before going to a football game. John's mother happily agrees and John's friends are pleasantly surprised that John has invited them to his house, and that he is joining them at the football game to have a little fun for once. When John goes to the football game, he realizes that this is the best time he's had in a while. John starts to realize all that he has missed and balances his time between his studies, family, and friends. John no longer passes out with his trousers still on. John's mother can now even tuck him in without his shoes on.

 John even finds a girlfriend whose name is Jane. Jane is a lot like John. Jane is also a senior at their college with hopes of becoming a doctor. Jane also loves to study and rarely sleeps. Although Jane has already gotten into medical school, she helps John get ready for his tests. They study together and are as happy as can be. Jane loves John and sleeps just like he. When they are together, John goes back to his old habits of sleeping rarely. John’s mom finds John sleeping again with yesterday's clothes still on, with one sneaker on and one off, along with a sleeping Jane who mirrors her boyfriend John. John’s poor mother can do nothing but tuck the well-dressed teenagers in bed and be happy that John has a friend to share his poor habit. 

Author's note: In this short nursery rhyme it talks about a boy named John who falls asleep with his trousers and one shoe on. I adapted my story to be about a teenager named John who worries and studies all the time. He does not get a lot of sleep, but when he does he often sleeps without undressing himself from his day clothes because he is so tired from studying continuously. John's friends make fun of him for his studying and believe he should have some more fun. When John finally does start to have fun again, he meets a girl (Jane) that is just like John and brings him back to his old habits. I got inspiration for this story from a friend who is always stressing about everything related to school. They often study and over study when they should just have a little fun every now and then.What I want people to take away from this story is it is okay to be studious, but many people think that you are not doing college right if you are getting a good night's sleep. I do not believe this, and I think that it is very possible to study a good amount of time and get a healthy amount of sleep.  The nursery rhyme for this story came from The Nursery Rhyme Book edited by Andrew Lang (1987). 

10 comments:

  1. I really love the way you write. Enough description for the reader to use their imagination. I have to admit, I am like a John sometimes. I study way to hard and become entirely exhausted that I usually don't even want to go out and have fun. Or if I feel like I have spare time, then I need to consume it with studying. This story helped remind me that having fun is good as well is studying. I just need to remember to keep that balance

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how your story followed the story in a consistent pattern, but you also embellished the story with extra details. I also liked how you created a plot twist in the middle of the story and then ended the story with another twist of him going back to his old ways. I think pretty much everyone can relate to this rhyme at some point in their lives whether it be sleepiness from school, work or a new baby in the house. I know I've been like that after I've had a baby and I felt like a walking zombie for several months. I've even been so sleepy sometimes that I have actually almost fallen asleep in class too. As John did in your story, I too enjoy the days where I can just relax and not have any responsibilities and can just have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like just about everyone in this class can relate to this story. Staying up, working hard, and never having enough time are themes i'm sure most college students are very familiar with. I try to get a solid 6-8 hours of sleep each night, but with my sleeping problems (I have trouble falling asleep, and even if I pass out early I still wake up 3-6 times each night-not counting how many times I sort of wake up to change positions), classwork, and practicum I find it very difficult sometimes to get everything done and fit in the right amount of sleep too. Anyway, I liked how simple your story was. You didn't over-write or try too hard to make this story exciting/different. It flows just like a nursery rhyme which is nice and keeps the reader from getting bored. I do feel like some of the wording, particularly in the first paragraph, is a little strange. Some of it just reads a little weird, maybe try reading it out loud or having a friend read it. After all, I could be wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brandy - This is great! You did a great job making a creative spin from this nursery rhyme. Like Krista said above, everyone can relate to John at some point in their lives...especially in college! I liked how you made your story very simple and to the point. It made it much more enjoyable to read.

    You did a great job and there were very few errors, but I did find a couple of awkward wordings. Such as "He never has a little fun." I would just change this so that the story flows better.

    I liked how you kept true to the rhyme by John keeping one shoe on and one shoe off.
    Way to be creative and develop this rhyme. I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brandy,

    This was a good story! I really liked the story and how you took the short poem and turned it into a longer story that everyone who was reading could enjoy. However, I do not know if this was on purpose or accidental, I do notice that a lot of your sentences were rhyming and matching together. The story was still in the story structure, instead of being in the poem structure. My one main critique would be to decide if you wanted the story to be a poem or a story. It was a little disorienting to have the rhyming scheme appear while the words themselves were a paragraph-block format. However, in the overall idea of your story, I really enjoyed it. It was a good story that had good flow, and thoughts to it. I enjoyed reading it very much and loved being able to see the translation from the poem to the story that you wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Brandy! I really enjoyed your story; I guess I never really thought about what a nursery rhyme like this would look like in the modern world. I often wish I could get more sleep, though I have to admit that I don't usually fall asleep with my day clothes on, haha. I found it very interesting the way you choose to characterize the mother at the end of the story--I'd like to think all mothers would be as accepting, accept. . . maybe not. And I also found it intriguing that you had John find a better way of balancing his time, only to revert back to his old habits. These plot choices definitely had an impact on the story, and it lends a lot to the tale!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So just right off the bat, I noticed that there's a tense disagreement in your first couple of sentences. You said there was a boy. Then John is blah, blah, blah. But anyways, what a really great story. It's so cool to think that you created this story just from this nursery rhyme. I see a lot of myself in John, so maybe that is why I found this story so interesting. I don't make it a habit, but I have been known to sleep with some odd articles of clothing on just because I'm so exhausted that I plop down and basically pass out. I like that in the middle John kind of decided to take it easy for a little while.
    I thought the most interesting part was the end of the story. I'm not sure how to take John's relapse because of this girl. I want to think that it is good that John found someone like him, but in the back of my mind I worry that maybe that lifestyle isn't the best one to live. Anyways, very interesting, thought-provoking story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Brandy!

    This was both a creative and interesting story. I had a great time reading it and especially appreciated how you drew inspiration from one of your stressed-out friends…I do wonder, does this person work him/herself into an "overly dressed slumber?"

    One of the things I liked most about this story was that it was based on a nursery rhyme. The brevity of the rhyme seemed to give you plenty of flexibility to work with the storyline - that was a nice touch.

    As far as formatting goes, I thought that the "centered" text was a bit strange and difficult to decipher, but it didn't take away from the story too drastically.

    However, I did notice that there was very little dialogue going on, if any. I would've liked to have heard John's conversations with both his mother and Jane; I think that would sufficiently add to his character development and create an even more believable story.

    Nicely done.

    Best,

    Cole

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your picture!
    Also, I really love your story. I think everyone can relate to John's study habits. I know I definitely relate. Sometimes it really can be hard to balance studying, sleeping, and friend-time. I think I pass out in my day clothes more often than anything else, because I'm usually so exhausted when I actually make it to bed.
    I really like that you made such a great story from such a short nursery rhyme. Sometimes it can be hard to gain ideas for a storytelling without much to go on, but you did a fabulous job. I love that you were able to let your imagination take the story into any direction you wanted, and you still made it extremely close to the nursery rhyme. Honestly, it seems like the nursery rhyme was written about John from your story, instead of the other way around.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Brandy!

    First off, I liked that you put the poem at the beginning of your story. It is helpful to reader to see what you are going off of and helps set the tone for the tale. I was impressed that you were able to write an entire story based off of such a short rhyme. That takes a creative mind to create and execute as well as you did.

    I thought that your story was somewhat relatable to me and I'm sure to many college students around the world. It was an accurate representation of a day in the life of a student. I don't know how many times my friends or family have told me to get more sleep. That is actually one of my new years resolutions for 2015- to get more sleep. Naps are always the best part of the day.

    I enjoyed reading your story. The paragraphs were well organized and your sentences flowed smoothly. You kept my interest from beginning to end. I also thought your picture was a good choice because it helped me visualized the main character.

    I look forward to reading more from you in the upcoming weeks!

    ReplyDelete